It is natural for sadness to develop in response to stressful situations and it usually passes with time. However, when a natural and temporary period of sadness persists, this could be a sign of depression. It is estimated that approximately 18 million American adults ages 18 and over suffer from a depressive illness. Having depression is not the same as being sad and it is advised to visit a professional if feelings of sadness and/or loss of interest in activities persist for more than two weeks.
The following are major symptoms of depression:
– Feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and discouragement
– Significant weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
– Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
– Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
– Thoughts of death or suicide
Please contact us if you are currently experiencing any of the symptoms above.